Looking for a simple recipe for that fussy toddler and even a little extra for the family? This recipe is it! Healthy Easy Coconut Chicken Nuggets. Good for the entire family or even as finger food if you are playing host to a fabulous party.
You can’t go wrong with healthy chicken nuggets, add the coconut and you’ll be singing and dancing to ‘Happy’ By Pharrell Williams.
My daughter and I absolutely love coconut. It brings us back to the beaches of South East Asia and adds that sweet tropical taste without the refined sugar.
Happy Toddler, Happy Mama and Happy Family!
This is a great recipe to make with your toddler [if you have one or want to borrow one 🙂 ].
They will love getting in on the dunking!
Do let me know what you think and how you get on with your little one!
Note: Make sure that all hands are thoroughly washed before and after handling the raw chicken fillets.
- Cut chicken fillets into mini thumb sized nuggets. I find that the smaller size allows you to fully coat the entire nugget with the coconut panko mixture and not have any gaps of chicken peeking through when frying or baking.
- Lay out the 3 soup dishes/bowls to make your dipping and coating station.Fill the first bowl with the coconut flour, garlic powder, sweet paprika and Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
- Fill the second soup dish with the egg and coconut milk. Ensure egg is beaten and combined with the coconut milk.
- Fill the last soup dish with the panko bread crumbs and organic desiccated coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut. Mix well to combine evenly.
- Once you have your coating station ready, simply coat the chicken pieces with the coconut flour mixture, then the egg mixture and lastly dunking it into the panko coconut crumb mixture. Repeat with all nuggets and set aside.You can get your kids involved in the dipping and coating. It may just get a little messy but its well worth it and you will have tonnes of fun making these together. It’s also great for fussy eaters to get involved in making their own food. They are more likely to eat it after, I promise!
- For this recipe, I decided to lightly fry the nuggets on medium heat in some coconut oil until slightly golden. It should take about 3/4 mins on each side.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet-lined baking tray with some coconut oil using a spatula and pre heat the oven 200 Celsius.Once the nuggets are lightly fried. Transfer to the baking sheet to have them finish off in the oven for another 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Check to see that they have cooked through. Nothing worse than feeding your little one uncooked chicken!Serve with some Paleo BBQ Sauce or some shop bought organic ketchup for those extra busy days. We love the Daylesford Ketchup.